LBA Learns to Keep Sugar Bugs Away!
Although February may be known for its red hearts and boxes of chocolates, it’s also National Children’s Dental Health Month! We had to take the opportunity to teach LBA students about taking care of their teeth. On Wednesday, Dr. G and Monica from Stephen E. Adams DDS were invited to our Medical Center location in Torrance and gave a presentation on dental health.
Dr. G and Monica brought a special friend with them to help with the presentation – a dinosaur in need of teeth cleaning! The kids laughed as they watched the dinosaur get a check-up, and they learned that regularly brushing teeth and flossing helps to keep the “sugar bugs” away. The presentation was cute, entertaining, and taught our LBA students the importance of healthy dental habits!
5 Ways to Prevent Children’s Tooth Decay
- Parents- Be careful when sharing forks and spoons with your child. Using the same utensils can transfer cavity-causing germs.
- Encourage your children to eat healthy foods and limit their intake sugary drinks and candy.
- Make sure your child starts visiting the dentist by the time they reach a year old! It is recommended for children to visit the dentist for a teeth cleaning and checkup twice a year.
- Teach your children to brush their teeth twice a day for two minutes (or sing the ABCs twice!) with fluoride toothpaste.
- Ask your child’s dentist about dental sealants. They can be applied during a routine dentist appointment on the chewing surface of the teeth and help to seal out decay.